Children, dogs and cats have been poisoned biting into these pods. Symptoms are usually vomiting, coughing, lethargy, wheezing, and trouble breathing. The pods, if swallowed, can also cause an intestinal obstruction.
The small, laundry packets moved up to the top ten of the ASPCA’s toxin list in 2013.
The pods are designed to release the detergent when the outer membrane comes in contact with moisture. This moisture should be the water in your washing machine, not your pet’s or child’s saliva.
The detergent is highly concentrated and much more caustic than regular detergent. cat with tongue outThis means when your cat bites down on the pod the detergent can burst into the mouth causing:
• Burning of the esophagus
• Burning of the stomach
• Burning of the trachea
If your dog or cat bites into one, wash their mouth out first, then call your veterinarian or emergency clinic.
There is no antidote; so supportive care for symptoms is necessary.
Call the Pet Poison Helpline at 1-855-764-7661. There is a fee for consulting this resource.
Joan M. Freesh, MS, DVM